Thursday, July 12, 2012

Surgery #3 Was a Success, But....

The last time I received a "but" after one of Lexie's surgeries, it was, "Lexie's surgery went really well, but we did notice she has developed an infection...."  That infection, of course, turned out to be extensive and actually two different types of bacteria (staph and serratia), which caused Lexie's incision to pull open just approximately 14 hours after she was discharged from MetVet.

Dr. Kennedy called me last night around 9:30 p.m. to tell me that Lexie's surgery to repair the incision and also remove two mammary growths (not just one, as it turned out) went well, "but the anesthesiologist did make a note of some twitching that occurred during anesthesia."  I asked Dr. Kennedy if this is a reason for concern, but he didn't seem too worried about it.  He said he just wanted to mention it simply because the anesthesiologist noted it on Lexie's report, but he didn't think there was any reason to be concerned.  After all Lexie has been through, though, I wouldn't be surprised if she had a grand mal seizure a few hours after I get her home.  (Oh God, I didn't mean that!  *knock on wood!  knock on wood!*)

Anyway, Dr. Kennedy just called me again this morning to give me another update, and apparently Lexie did really well overnight.  He said that there was some swelling, but nothing like she had before.  He also said there was a little oozing from the incisions this morning, but that is to be expected.  I asked him if her eyes were going to ooze bloody fluid non-stop like they did the last time I brought her home, and he said he didn't think it would be as bad this time. 

On a side note, I asked Dr. Kennedy if they had ever received the results of Lexie's Von Willebrand's test (I noticed on her bill from her last surgery that I was charged for that test).  He said he wasn't sure if they had received the results back yet, but that he'd check.  I know that it takes a while for that test to come back, so I'm not going to be upset if they don't have the results yet.  Besides, at this point I'm kind of convinced she doesn't have Von Willebrand's because bleeding wasn't an issue in either of her last two surgeries.  I'm starting to think that Dr. Corbett's theory for why Lexie almost bled to death during her initial enucleation surgery is probably true:  She said that it's possible that all of Lexie's bleeding simply resulted from the fact that the eyes are very vascular organs with lots of veins and blood vessels that have to be surgically cut during an enucleation. 

So, technically, Lexie is allowed to come home tonight, but I told Dr. Kennedy that I would prefer to wait until Saturday to pick her up.  I reminded him that the last time I brought her home the day after her surgery, her stitches burst 11 hours later.  He said he completely understood and thought I was making a wise decision.  I know that leaving her two more nights for observation is definitely a better decision than picking her up this evening, but it's also killing me to know that she could come home tonight.  I want my Lou home with me so badly!!!!  I'm going to be strong, though, and hold off until Saturday morning to go get her, because I know it's for the best.  Well.....maybe tomorrow night.....


  1. Hopefully this will be her last surgery! I'm glad you were able to get the bill where you were comfortable.

  2. After doing a few years of research on dobes I've learned that many vets are not as knowledgeable on specific breed problems as we might assume they are. (Not that I'm insinuating anything about your vet.) I've learned that vWD is one of those conditions that most are still trying to understand. I've found that getting into contact with "doberman people" is the best way to really understand their specific health problems. The DPCA is a great resource for basic health info and personally I frequent a doberman forum (dobermantalk . com.) to talk to other owners and breeders to help my understanding. Warning though, the are very "passionate" people and can be a bit critical but there is a wealth of knowledge there.
    I really want to commend you on sticking with Lexie and getting her through this. I try to come check updates every couple day and am glad to hear about a weekend without the ER. I want you to know that I support you and am so happy to see someone doing anything and everything to help their pup. Sending good thoughts and prayers to you and Lexie.
    Melissa & Cato

    1. Thank you very much, Melissa. I will definitely check out that website, as I love to talk to other "Dobe people." My best to you and Cato!