Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Aaaand Back to the ER

I was right, Lexie must have busted some of her stitches earlier, and throughout the course of the day the rest of the stitches must have just worked themselves out, too, because around 10:00 p.m. I discovered that her incision was completely open.  Not busted wide open or anything like that, but it was obvious the incision wasn't being held together tightly and none of the stitches were visible at all anymore.

So, my only option was to rush her to our local Animal ER, and let me tell you, I am NOT happy with that place right now.  I called ahead to let them know we were coming.  Then, as soon as we walked in, I saw a puddle of pee on the floor with a yellow Caution sign sitting next to it (the puddle dried in the amount of time we were there, by the way, and no one ever even moved the sign, let alone mopped the floor).  Then, I told the girl behind the counter who we were, what was going on, and even told her I was freaking out a little.  She handed me a form and told me to fill it out, then she disappeared into the back somewhere for about....oh....I'd say at least twenty minutes!  For twenty minutes, my Lou sat in the waiting room just bleeding from her right eye while I nervously and angrily tapped my nails on the counter waiting for someone to come back and help us.

Finally, a different girl emerged from the back, but I don't even think she was going to help us until I said, "Excuse me, but I would feel MUCH better if someone would at least come take my dog."  Her reply?  "What's wrong with her?"  Unbelievable.

Well, that second girl did take Lexie to the back for me, but then we didn't see another employee for the next half hour or so, not even at the front desk!  Finally, a vet (at least, I hope she was an actual vet) called us into a room.  She said she already knew a little bit about Lexie's case because Dr. Ellis had called the Animal ER last Friday to see if they had plasma after Lexie's blood wouldn't clot.  She asked me if Lexie had any problems during her second surgery at MedVet, and I told her she didn't.  However, I added that we never really found out for sure if Lexie has Von Willenbrand's disease.

I guess for that reason, this vet said that she "didn't want to do anything that might cause all that to start up again," and told me she was going to put some ointment on Lexie's wound and then put a patch on it.  A PATCH!  I asked if she could at least put one or two stitches in it to close it up better, but she said that because Lou's surgery was two days ago, she'd have to re-open her wound a little in order to stitch it back up, which is exactly what she didn't want to do because she was afraid Lexie would start bleeding uncontrollably again.

So, I asked if they could at least keep Lexie overnight for observation because there's no way I'd be able to sleep tonight if I took her home with just a patch on her opened incision.  They said that was fine, so that's where Lexie is now.  I'm going to have to get up super early in order to go pick her up and take her to the Animal Care Clinic before I have to be at work at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow.

Will this ever end?????


  1. Oh my goodness! I am appalled at the way Lou was treated at the beginning. I do hope all has been sorted out and she is back on the road of a speedy recovery.
    I happened to cross your blog on Facebook on Chad's page and read all your posts back.
    And as a pet bunny owner, I understand the love and dedication for your pet(s) and really do hope and pray that Lou and you are free from the stress of it all and she gets better soon!

    lots of love and best wishes to you both
    Hibah xx

    1. Thank you, Hibah! I am happy to report that Lexie is now back at the Animal Care Clinic under the wonderful (and much more trust-worthy) care of Dr. Ginger Ellis. I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm hoping Dr. Ellis will be able to sew up her incision, at least a little bit. They seemed to think at the ER that Lexie's incision site was "too tight" to stitch back up, and I have no idea what they're going to do if that's the case, but I guess I'll just have to wait to hear from Dr. Ellis.

      Thank you for taking the time to wish us well. I wish the same for you and your bunny! :)

  2. Oh Courtney. This breaks my heart. I will say a puppy prayer for her.

    Amber Brown

    1. Thank you so much, Amber. I know you know what it's like to take care of a special needs dog, so I can't tell you how much I appreciate your prayers when you've already got a pup of your own to pray for. I will keep your baby in my prayers, as well. :)